'Heavenly Bodies' + French Impressionism.


After so long away, there I was again. In the heart of the city I never knew I loved, in a place I love most of all, with some of the people who hold my heart dearest. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is currently holding one of their greatest fashion exhibitions yet, 'Heavenly Bodies.' We made our way to the Anna Wintour Costume Center to view prominent fashion pieces from the Vatican itself. Embroidered capes and mantles of deceased popes hung in glass cases, and heavenly music poured from speakers, setting each and every person back in history. 

We made our way back upstairs, where fashion pieces created by some of our time's greatest fashion designers were displayed. Versace, Yves Saint Laurent, Dolce & Gabbana, and many others created masterpieces inspired by the Catholic imagination. It was all absolutely stunning. Some pieces were adorned in golds and jewels, others where a single, bright color with careful, delicate folds. The name of the exhibition fits it perfectly.





After the fashion exhibition, we made our way to the 'Public Parks, Private Gardens: Paris to Provence' exhibition. Here were the calming pieces created by Renoir, Van Gogh, Monet, Pissarro and many other French impressionists. Each artwork was a window to a different, dreamlike reality. Colors swirled and swept within golden frames, taking me away to France in the summer. What I've always admired about impressionism is the artist's ability to recreate peaceful scenes through depiction, as well as through their strokes and movement of color. French impressionists have especially stolen my heart. 






On a bit of a side note, I recently watched Loving Vincent, an incredibly sad movie about the death of Vincent Van Gogh, a Dutch Post-Impressionist who lived a tortured life as an artist, then killed himself in the end. There are theories about his death, saying he was shot accidentally by some kids. Yet somehow, throughout his life, he found beauty in the world around him. No matter who thought him to be strange or unusual, he kept doing what he loved. It did end sadly, however he is remembered in history as one of the best artists there has ever been. He will continue to be an inspiration to me. 




We took a stroll to a ramen restaurant, then made our way back home. We did run into a wall of raining tacos, so naturally we all had to take a picture. And I saw lots of beautiful plants. The city does not fail to surprise me anymore. There's a lot of beauty in it, something I had not seen long ago.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art will always be my favorite place to go for inspiration. Something tells me years from now, I'll be sitting in the museum, or walking around it, and reminisce about the beginning of my adventures as an artist. Perhaps I will be much better then. Perhaps I won't be so scared to draw portraits with the fear that I won't do the subject justice.

Today was a very lovely day spent with those who make my heart feel light again. So thank you to them. Thank you to the city. Thank you to the artists I will never meet, but forever love.

Xx.

Comments

Popular Posts