Pushing Boundaries.


Last year, I made the decision to cross the country to go to a college on the West Coast, University of San Diego specifically. There, I explored beaches, met wonderful people, found amazing restaurants, went to an entrepreneurship conference, was passionate about the classes I took, and opened my soul in ways I've only dreamed of.




Following that, I traveled overseas for a few weeks. First, I explored the souks of Marrakesh and Rabat. Hidden between the red walls were little shops of lanterns, dishes, silver jewelry, and moccasins. Snake charmers captured the attention of tourists and locals alike as the cobras lounged in the hot sun. It was as lovely, if not lovelier, than I imagined it to be. And there were a lot of cats.

After Morocco, I went to Madrid. The city was filled with people in the night, exploring, eating, and shopping. I had paella for the first time, and bought an SD card in a Spanish technology store. From Madrid, we took a plane to Brussels.




As soon as we landed in Brussels, I fell in love. In the airport, a beautiful boy sat at a piano, playing a familiar tune. He had unkempt brown hair and was wearing a black suit. Yes, I did find that incredibly dreamy. You would too. I bought Belgian chocolate, of course, and took photos among the beautiful architecture. While there, I also visited the NATO Parliamentary Assembly and The European Commission.

From there, I took a train to Paris, the city I dreamed of since I was five years old. It was exactly as I expected it to be. Old facades, flower shops, and bakeries dotting every corner. Opulence is the way to describe Champs-Elysees, and dreamlike describes the moment when I stepped out of the metro and saw the Eiffel Tower for the first time.





And now, I am back home. It was a difficult decision to make, but I knew this is what I needed. I'm exactly where the universe wants me to be right now. I'm not sure where I'll end up next. Maybe I'll go back to USD, or maybe I'll find a school on the East Coast.

What I've been doing all this time is really pushing my boundaries, which is so empowering. It has helped me gain a better idea of who I am and what I truly love. Today is International Women's Day. A day to celebrate women across the globe. I am proud of myself for going against the tide and trying something so new. I am proud of every story teller, dreamer, doer, wandress, and woman out there. I will continue to do things that make me feel empowered, and I will encourage and help to empower those around me, both women and men. Don't let fear hold you back from trying new things. Push your boundaries. Keep wandering into the unknown, know when to breathe, and always feel confident. Much love to you and all your adventures.

You are only what you settle for. - Janis Joplin. 

Comments

Popular Posts