An Absolutely Remarkable Evening.



Hello, friends. I know it has been a long while and I do apologize. I don't know if I have an adequate excuse for it, but I am here now.

Tonight, I sat in a not-too-big audience to see Hank Green talk about his new book, An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, and his perspective on the internet's influence on us today. In truth, I don't know an incredible amount about Hank Green like his normal viewers do. But, it was something unlike anything I've ever experienced before. I felt like I was engaged in an intriguing conversation with a friend-- well several friends. He also jabbed his thumb into an apple. It was fantastic. 

It started with a book reading, where he read a short excerpt from the book, which I'm so excited to read. That was followed by a quick Q+A with the illustrator of the inside page of his book. There's beautiful art of the Manhattan skyline that's done very cleverly. After that, Dianna Cowern came out and they asked questions together. Then they dueled. They blindfolded themselves, selected a member of the audience to ask trivia questions they preselected, and if one of them got it wrong, they got to hit the other with an inflatable bat. Then, he ended it by singing Call Me Maybe lullaby version and All Star. Yes, this is real life, not a Youtube video. I was incredibly pleased. 

One important thing we discussed was creating things for happiness or fame. As a writer, I understood this because I would love to have an audience to read all the things I write. Luckily, I have wonderful friends who are willing to read my five page stories about candles falling in love (I wrote a Beauty and the Beast fanfic, don't @ me) or intense poetry about the galaxy and the universe. But, having an audience has always been a big thing for me. For a moment there, I second guessed myself and thought am I doing it for the fame, or for myself? It took me a hot second to come back to my senses. I love writing. I love making beautiful things and I love sharing it. Even if I didn't have a place to share it, I would still create them. Nothing will ever change that.

Then, you start thinking and worrying about the worth of your work. In truth, I think the value doesn't only come in the reactions of others, which is great itself, but it also comes from what you felt while producing it. When people buy products, like rings or books or something, they're priced before the person chooses to buy it. It's the same with whatever creation you make. You're the one who makes it worth what it is.  I have lots of poetry I don't try to promote, and it all really makes a home on my Tumblr. And occasionally, I'll get a note which is so exciting. But, it's not an extremely active thing. The point I'm trying to make is that you should do what you're passionate about and don't let others value that for you. Obviously, sharing your work is a great thing to do. We all want people to see the wonderful things we create. However, fame shouldn't dictate your creations. 

Going back to Hank Green, I loved how informal the event was. He would talk about San Diegan tacos, and like I said, he jabbed his thumb into an apple to see if it would split in three. It felt so comfortable and I felt like I was in a space where I belonged. It was silly, smart, and fun. I laughed so much. I don't think moments like that happen very often so I'm grateful to have had it. It was one of those evenings that reminded me of who I am and who I'd like to become. I want to pour all my effort into things I am passionate about. I want to make people around me laugh, and I'd like to help the world if I can. I just want to be good and do good. But right now, I'm sleepy so I'm going to sleep.

Before I go, here are some quotes and highlights from the event. Please note it is not verbatim as I just- couldn't remember clearly:

"I don't want to be the leader of the universe - I just want to be happy..."

"Everyday I'm fueled by compassion...and Tuesdays are for revenge."

"We gonna fight about hot sauce?"

The concept of Neil DeGrasse Tyson reading Blink-182 lyrics

"[Neil DeGrasse Tyson] did just meet John and said "are you the science one or the other one?"'

"We had blindfolded people hitting each other with bats which is basically Twitter."

Hank Green, everyone. Life changer. Goodnight. Xx.

Comments

Popular Posts